Call out for 2022 NWF joanne burns Microlit Award
Length: 200 word max.
Closing date: Aug 31 2021
Enter National category here.
Enter Hunter category here.
Submissions of up to 200 words on the theme of ‘travel’ are sought for the 2022 NWF joanne burns Microlit Award.
Now in its 11th year, The joanne burns Microlit Award is co-hosted by Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival. Cash prizes of $300 will be awarded to winners of the National and Hunter categories.
The award will be judged this year by the celebrated and award-winning author, joanne burns and a microlit anthology featuring invited authors as well as finalists from the award will be edited by internationally renowned microlit expert, Professor Cassandra Atherton and released in 2022.
What We Are Looking For?
Send us microfiction or prose poems, up to 200 words, which reflect on travel – whether a daily commute, gap year, Contiki Tour or roadtrip. Drop us a postcard from travels in time, space or the fourth dimension.
We welcome submissions that will amuse, amaze and unsettle us. Take us on a journey that will make us see the world anew.
What is Microlit?
Our guest judge, joanne burns describes this unique form as, ‘poetry, fiction, essay, contemplation, perhaps flirtation – condensed, sudden, gnomic, implosive – a kind of petit pointillism - where enough may be more than enough.... ‘
All texts included in the anthology will be considered for inclusion in a range of Spineless Wonders’ multiplatform collaborations including #storybombing activities as well as in podcast productions and in the Microflix Awards and Festival.
Submission Guidelines / Conditions of Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted via the Submittable link.
- Entry fee is $15.00 for National category and $10.00 for Hunter Category for up to three submissions per entry. (There is no limit to the number of entries per person.)
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age and must be either an Australian citizen (living anywhere) or a person residing in Australia.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- The judge’s decisions will be final. No correspondence will be entered in to.
- Entries are to be no more than 200 words (exclusive of the title).
- Submissions under consideration by another competition or publication or work that has been previously published or awarded will not be accepted.
- By entering this competition, writers grant Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival limited, fee-free, licence to publish their work and/or produce and broadcast it as audio or video. Intellectual Property shall remain with individual author on the understanding that the work not be published elsewhere until after December, 2022.
- The closing date is 31 August, 2021. Entries will be accepted up until midnight AEST. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Results will be announced by December, 2021.
- Spineless Wonders will offer publication to the winner and finalists in its annual anthology. All published entries, including the winner, may be edited.
For any further inquiries, email info[at]shortaustralianstories.com
To enter the National category, click .
To enter the Hunter Region category, click .
Co-hosted with SPINELESS WONDERS by: