We are thrilled to announce an exciting new award for short fiction collections up to 30,000 words. The Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award will offer cash prize amounts of $3000 to the winner and $1000 to two runners-up as well as world-wide digital publication of all three entries as part of our new Capsule Collections series.
ENTRIES CLOSE APRIL 30, 2018
Carmel Bird will launch the new digital award at the Cowen Gallery, State Library Victoria on Thursday December 14, 6.30pm-7.30pm. Registrations for this event can be made here. An information session about the award will be also be held on March 1, 2018 Seminar Room 1, State Library Victoria.
Spineless Wonders acknowledges the Copyright Agency’s Cultural Fund for supporting this project and we wish to thank our award partners, State Library Victoria, Tablo and Ingram Spark.
- To enter you must reside in Australia or be an Australian living overseas
- You must be over 18
- Submissions are sought for collections of short prose up to 30,000 words. The writing may take the form of fiction or creative non-fiction. The collection may be comprised of short stories, micro-fiction or novella. Submissions may also include reflective essays on the stories in the collection.
- All entries to be made via Submission Manager.
- Entry fee is $25. Concession holders and full-time students may enter for $20.
- Submissions must consist of maximum 30,000 word manuscript as well as an author bio and introduction or synopsis of up to 250 words.
- Entries may consist of audio-visual content, hyperlinks as well as text.
- Entries close midnight AEST, April 30, 2018.
- Entries may consist in part, but not in total, of work previously published in print or online provided this work is not subject to any existing copyright or licence or any other third party rights; entries may be comprised, in part but not in total, of work which has previously won or been a finalist in other competitions or awards; all work submitted must be your original work. Entries may be co-authored.
- The winner will be awarded $3000 and two runners-up will be awarded $1000 each. All three finalists will be offered a digital publication agreement by Spineless Wonders. This includes editorial, art and design, distribution and promotion and ongoing royalties from sales.
- The winner and runners-up will be announced in August, 2018.
- Entrants selected by the award judge will be contacted prior to the longlist announcement. All longlisted finalists will have an extract of their choice (along with a short synopsis and bio) showcased on Tablo.
- By submitting to the Award you are agreeing to the above entry conditions.
For inquiries, email info [at] shortaustralianstories.com.au